Tuesday 5 June 2012

Why one jumps back to convention


It’s a difficult job to be a woman in a man’s world.
What else can I say? Feminism is truly just a word- the fight for equality between genders runs deep. It is exhausting to correct your friends when they laugh at a cunt or pussy joke. Or objectify women. Or say something like ‘Gah! Women and shopping.. .’ Sometimes I wake up and feel tired at the thought that my concept of romantic love (what remains of it now) is so narrow as to include people with just male sex organs. Believe me i have tried modifying my orientation but i guess socialization did its work well.
Gender should cease to be given importance. A short, exasperated reflection (part of the musings that could be made into a series about how the world could be a better place) dunked in the pessimism of my counsellor who told me a while back, ‘You cannot change the world.’
Golden words.
I choose to ignore them. 
But sometimes when I see myself fighting to not take the easier way- accept that some people just have it worse than i do; adjust to social norms and expectations; stop correcting people- i understand why convention can be so appealing. It promises social acceptance, and a more peaceful state of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment